I’m smiling so big.
A fellow blogger, a recent connection in my blogging world, sent me a message with my nomination for the Infinity Dreams Award!
Course I had to whip up my desert love spin on it and came up with this:
My Blogging Journey
Once upon a time I moved out to remote Big Bend with little babies in tow. I woke up this year and decided to embark on a little creative online project when I started mydesertlove.com with no background in website design and only my noggin and laptop for reference.
“I have no idea what I am doing but incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm.”
― Woody Allen
My heart skipped a beat.
Her generous offer took my breathe away as well as caused me to scramble with trepidation. Stimulating startling thoughts of actual people, not spammers, actually going to my blog and reading stuff that I wrote and seeing what I put together.
It was time to get serious.
I told my husband when I started this site that it was for the greater good, for our family, for income potential, and future options. All honorable and not quite true. It was all for me. This is my hobby, my “me-time” where every day my brain is ping-ing with things I never knew – I never knew and my social nets capture inspiration that causes my pulse to quicken and my creative juices flowing!
It was all great fun and dandy, but now it was serious and it has been ever since. I didn’t want to let Elizabeth down. Her support means the world to me. So I expanded my scope, researching my options for social networking. Now I was behind the curtain and have been lucky to make connections with generous bloggers.
One such blogger is Fabiola from Heart of Mexico. The lovely blogger that I mentioned at the get-go, that nominated me for this Infinity Dreams Award!
She lives and loves in Mexico City, Mexico. I love her authentic viewpoint and vibrant personality. We have a lot of desert love in common as well! Real kismet when we connected online. She has been such an inspiration with her generosity in sharing her blogging experience as well as intriguing posts from her lovely part of the world. So far removed from mine!
Now for the nitty-gritty.
Infinity Dreams Award Rules
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back.
- Post the award badge and rules.
- Tell 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the question that were set for you to answer.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and set questions for them.
Okay #1 -2 down and now we’re jumping into #3.
#3 . . . 11 Uniquely Me Things!
- American citizen by application. . . I was born in Vietnam.
- My heart goes to refugees. . . At 1.5 years old, my parents and I fled Vietnam. Refugees from the outcome of the Vietnam War. Our sponsors were from a Catholic Church in Pampa Texas, a very small town in the Panhandle. It was our very first home in America.
- A little voodoo in my past. . . I almost died off the coast of Thailand when our boat sunk before reaching shore. My father swam with me on his back.
- I’ve shrunk . . . My siblings, all younger and born in American, all outgrew me!
- Living the American Dream . . . I was the first to graduate college in my family. But now I’m the oldest and the shortest! Ugh.
- Asian Bigfoot . . . I wear a size 9 shoe ~ siblings all have bigger feet! Its wide for me, for the most part. If you are thinking “gynormous” ~ well, it is extraordinarily so for a full Vietnamese gal. Growing up, we’d visit Chinatown in L.A. and the Asian brand shoes only went up to size 8.
- I’m so straight . . . My hair cannot hold a perm. So many issues for my poor ma growing up – no pretty shoes, no pretty hair. She never stopped trying though. Always buying the wrong size, always coming up with a new process to try!
- Drawing blanks . . . I am thinking that “11” is a really “gynormous” number right now! I guess I am intimidated by double-digits.
- Foodie in the Desert . . . I often dream of Vietnamese food. They always end with me waking up at the very moment when I’m about to savor a delectable bite!
- Always the weirdo . . . I have my father’s “vein-y” hands. My mother would haunt me with “Sleep with your arms over your head!”
- Keeping it simple . . . I married my very first boyfriend. Met him at age 21. Hitched less than 1.5 years later.
#4 . . . My Answers to Heart of Mexico‘s Questions:
- What inspired you to start your blog?
I could say family, my kids, the desert, but truth be told . . . I’ve always wanted to write, graphic design, photography, and being creative.
- How do you find inspiration for your posts?
We live in the desert, a place that I never dreamed for myself and I find it fascinating. I research online for current desert related interests and am always stimulated by the interests of my children. Their clarity of things continually amazes me.
- What do you like most about blogging?
Meeting up with creative minds and honing my crafts.
- What is the most challenging thing about blogging?
Keeping on track and completing my posts every week! My draft folder is in the high double digits! So many ideas, nearly a new one every week and yet the days are never longer to accommodate.
- How do you find the motivation to keep blogging?
I have little beings in my midst.
So lucky to have my very own fan club. I challenge myself to be a better me and hopefully to always be someone who deserves their unconditional support.
- Could you share one blogging tip that you’ve found useful?
You’re committed if you’ve started blogging ~ you can no longer claim introversion.
- What is one thing about blogging that you still don’t get?
So many, many things. Like I said, a new day a new “What-the-heck” moment for Vi! For the moment I don’t get Bloglovin’ . . . I understand it, but some bloggers say “nay” and some say “yay”.
- Do you prefer a keyboard or a pen and paper?
Since graduate school I’ve converted to keyboard. I have pansy-hands now. Really feel it after writing a mere page. Don’t tell my younger sister! I always beat her in hand wrestling, but then I totally feel it afterwards – ugh.
- What is your favorite motto or quote?
“It’s a beautiful morning.” Reminds me how grateful I am to life, to nature, to time.
- What are you most passionate about?
My children. I have always been maternal. I have always loved children, their purity of thought, innocence, potential, unconditional love, and undeniable sweetness.
- What is a goal you hope to accomplish this year?
Not to panic. End of the year is so chock-full of obligations. I want to keep it fun and light and in stride. Do Not Panic . . .
#5 . . . Passing the Torch to the Following Bloggers:
- Max and Myles Style ~ Designer & fashion blogger
- Latina Voice ~ Latina speaking her mind
- The Green Study ~ Creative writing and living
- Polishbeetrootau by Gacia ~ Polish in Australia ~ very new, very lovely
- A Kitchen in Vegas ~ for Foodies to drool over
- Sanity Not Included ~ Intriguing person I just want to get to know more . . .
- Mom’s Food Blog ~ Mommy sharing her cooking tips – duh!
- Craft of Laughter ~ Mother & daughter, thoughtful moments & laughter
- Coyote Heart ~ Spreading Outdoor Love
- Wanderside ~ A thoughtful mind that doesn’t hold back
- Big Bend Artist ~ “Wanderings of Artist Lindy Cook Severns” – says it all.
Lastly . . . My questions for my lovely bloggers:
And my answers . . . in case you were wondering.
- What is your favorite drink memory? or your least favorite?
- Mine: Kiwi boba drink, Chinatown, Chicago
- Are you a city mouse or country mouse?
- Me? Country mouse . . . desert rat!
- Do you prefer tile or carpet?
- Tile in my furry love existence
- Sunset or Sunrise?
- Either one is magical. But always miss due to mommy duties.
That’s just how my brain works folks!
Eager to read your answers, to learn a little more about you.
And as always, to follow you on your blogging journeys.
@ 2015 Vi Dotter/My Desert Love Designs & Blog All Rights Reserved.
and as always Sharing is Caring . . .